The AOS was founded in 1921 in Massachusetts by a group of 35 orchid enthusiasts.
“The American Orchid Society’s mission is to promote and support the passion for orchids through education, conservation, and research.”
The fragile habitat of orchids in our shrinking world is threatened, and recognizing this, the AOS dedicates itself to conservation efforts designed to preserve orchids and their ecosystems. Education and research go hand-in-hand with conservation, and the AOS has awarded over a million dollars in grants and fellowships to support investigation into the biology of orchids.
Members of the AOS receive a monthly subscription to ORCHIDS. This glossy magazine features large color photos, a popular Q & A column, conservation and habitat information, orchid breeding trends, and of course many growing tips. A bonus to AOS members is the ability to purchase back issues at a reduced rate.
- The golden official seal of the AOS depicts a Native American studying encyclia and phragmipedium orchids.
- The first AOS orchid show was held in 1924 in Boston.
- The AOS published its first periodical in 1932, then known as the AOS Bulletin.
- The AOS left its long term residence at Harvard university for the warmer clime of West Palm Beach, FL in 1984.
- The AOS established its online presence in 1996, with the website OrchidWeb.
- The current AOS headquarters are in Coral Gables, FL.
- Subscription to ORCHIDS monthly magazine
- Access to members-only features online
- Free or discounted admission to many botanical gardens
- Discount to a select number of orchid supply companies
- $30 voucher to a choice of participating orchid vendors for two year membership purchases